District-level English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC)
Each California public school district, grades kindergarten through 12, with 51 or more English learners must form a District-level English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC) or subcommittee of an existing district-wide advisory committee.
- The DELAC, or subcommittee on English learner education, shall advise the district's local governing board (e.g., in person, by letters/reports, or through an administrator) on programs and services for English learners.
- The DELAC shall be responsible for advising the district's local governing board on the following tasks:
- Development or revision of a district master plan of education programs and services for English learners, taking into consideration the Single School Plan for Student Achievement.
- Conducting a district-wide needs assessment on a school-by-school basis.
- Establishment of district programs, goals, and objectives for programs and services for English learners (e.g., parental exception waivers and funding).
- Development of a plan to ensure compliance with any applicable teacher and instructional aide requirements.
- Administration of the annual language census (e.g., procedures and forms).
- Review and comment on the district's reclassification procedures.
- Review and comment on the written notifications required to be sent to parents and guardians.
- Each school's English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) must have the opportunity to elect at least one of its members to be a site representative in the DELAC.
- If the district has 31 or more ELACs, it may use a system of proportional or regional representation.
The district shall provide to all DELAC members:
- Appropriate training and materials to assist each member carry out his or her legally required advisory responsibilities.
- Training planned in full consultation with DELAC members. Economic Impact Aid-Limited English Proficient and/or district funds may be used to cover costs of training and attendance of DELAC members. This includes costs for child care, translation services, meals, and other reasonable expenses.
Agendas and Minutes
- May 21, 2015
- January 30, 2015
- June 19, 2014
Education Code, sections 35147 (c), 52176 (b) and (c), 62002.5, and 64001 (a)
California Code of Regulations, Title 5, sections 11308 (b) and (d).
20 United States Code Section 6312 (g)(4)