What is the multi-tiered system of supports (MTSS)?
The multi-tiered system of supports (MTSS) is a framework that supports success for all students that:
- provides early academic and behavioral help, rather than waiting for a student to fail;
- provides an improved way for school teams to meet the individual needs of your child;
- provides instruction at different levels or tiers depending on the needs of each student; and
- is available to all students to help them succeed and to increase student achievement.
What are the goals of a multi-tiered system of supports (MTSS)?
The goals of the multi-tiered system of supports are to:
- improve the quality of instruction;
- prevent unnecessary academic and behavioral failure;
- provide proven, or evidence-based, interventions for all students;
- prevent unnecessary referral to special education;
- prevent, rather than react to, student difficulties;
- involve and support parents as partners in the MTSS process; and
- to support teachers’ use of effective instructional strategies and practices.